Showcasing 1,600 programmes and projects to over 400 buyers and commissioners, MIPDoc is the world’s largest platform for documentary and factual content. At this year’s edition, Archive Valley will be organizing and moderating a special panel dedicated to the topic of archive footage and research: “ARCHIVES & STORYTELLING: UNEARTHING UNIQUE FOOTAGE AT A GLOBAL SCALE“. Our CEO and co-founder Melanie Rozencwajg will be moderating a 45 min talk session with James Hunt, archive researcher & director and Thorsten Pollfuss, CEO of Epoche Media. The session will be an outstanding platform to discuss the challenges filmmakers face in delving into hours of footage and the creative process that ultimately lead to remarkable films.
We are excited to be part of such an important conference and share a stage with so many key industry executives. With the help of Amandine Cassi, Executive Producer MIP Conferences, Archive Valley has prepared for you a short selection with some of the highlights of this year conference and events program:
POWER SHIFT: DISTRIBUTORS AS CONTENT KICKSTARTERS
07 Apr 2018, 16:45 – 17:30, JW Marriott Hotel, Grand Theatre
The panel will be discussing how today’s market is often presenting the distributors with the necessity of becoming commissioners by securing funding for a project at an early development stage.
– Solange Attwood, EVP, International, Blue Ant Media
– Isabelle Graziadey, Executive Director International Sales, and Acquisitions, TERRANOA
– Cristine Platt Dewey, Managing Director, ro*co films international LLC
– Pauline Mazenod, Head of Film Acquisitions and Sales, WINDROSE
INDIE FILMMAKING: PROTECTING CREATIVE FREEDOM IN AN M&A WORLD
08 Apr 2018, 15:15 – 16:00, JW Marriott Hotel, Grand Theatre
Operating as a factual independent production house or filmmaker is becoming increasingly more complicated when it comes to finding the right balance between creative freedom and successfully navigating in an ecosystem defined by big players, consolidation, and mergers. The goal of the panel is to offer unique insights by producers who have plenty of experience dealing with this type of massive shifts in the industry, while preserving their strong creative vision.
– Jamie Isaacs, CEO, Avalon Factual, Avalon
– Jane Root, Founder & Chief Executive, Nutopia
– Ellen Windemuth, CEO, Off the Fence
– Moderated by Derren Lawford, Creative Director, Woodcut Media
LET’S TALK COPRODUCTION: ASIA’S GLOBAL AMBITIONS
08 Apr 2018, 16:15 – 17:00, JW Marriott Hotel, Grand Theatre
What does it take to make it on a global scale? In the factual world a lot of time this could mean finding the right people to work together and help you break into a new market. Content producers from Asia know that all very well and this panel will discuss the right strategies for establishing successful international partnerships.
– Sayumi Horie, Head of Global Development Division, NHK
– Kyle Murdoch, Managing Director, NHNZ
– Jaehyuk (Andrew) Lee, Head of Factual Studio, CJ E&M
– David Royle, Executive Vice President & Chief Programming Officer, Smithsonian Channel
CONTENT STRATEGY: A FIRESIDE CHAT WITH…
An absolute must for any producer working on their pitch. In 4 separate sessions, each key content executive will be presenting their current goals and vision in terms of programming, acquisition, and commissioning. The event is an incredible opportunity to understand what big broadcasters like NHK, Smithsonian Channel, ZDF, PBS are looking for on the content market.
– David Royle, Executive Vice President & Chief Programming Officer, Smithsonian Channel (07 Apr 2018, 12:00 – 12:30, JW Marriott Hotel, Producers Hub)
– Sayumi Horie, Head of Global Development Division, NHK (07 Apr 2018, 16:00 – 16:30, JW Marriott Hotel, Producers Hub)
– Dr. Kristina Hollstein, Director Acquisitions, and Coproductions Documentaries, ZDF Enterprises & Ralf Rueckauer, Vice President ZDFE.unscripted, ZDF Enterprises (07 Apr 2018, 16:00 – 16:30, JW Marriott Hotel, Producers Hub)
– Germaine Deagan Sweet, Managing Director, Co-Productions and Drama Acquisitions, PBS International & Tom Koch, Vice President, PBS International (08 Apr 2018, 11:30 – 12:00, JW Marriott Hotel, Producers Hub)